Monday, January 4, 2010

Doula Moments

Doula Moments








mommy graphics









Yesterday was Prenatals Day at the clinic.

Every hour a beautiful belly with bright eyes

and arms and legs

and warm smiles

walked into the office.



I love those bellies.

Not in a creepy, fetish-y way

but in a happy, sisterly way.

I love em.



Many of our Moms are ready

to

pop.



And they all consistently said the same thing:

"It's gone by so fast."



As we listen to heart tones

for the

th-thump thump thump

rapid-firing

thru the dopler

what is it about that sound

that makes us so dang happy?



Knowing a little baby is

living

thriving

inside the round belly

is just the best peek into

Godly things

Creation

Life's eternal nature

that we have.

And I love being a part of it.



As we watch the Ultrasound

screen

eyes peeled

alert and wide

for a hand

a leg

and OH! there's his/her face!

We delight in the sights!



And I watched a couple

hold hands

and beam as the ultrasound

searches for their child's gender...

Momma says she's felt it's a

Boy

since the beginning.

Daddy smiles and says he hopes she right,

they both agree it really doesn't matter

"just as long as it's healthy."

Momma was right from the beginning.

It's a Boy!

Little tears surface as they smile

knowing he's been there all along.

Elijah.



All day long

Bellies walk thru the door.

Some bellies have not seen labor yet

Some have seen labor many times.

One belly is ready ready ready

to see labor for the first time

and is wondering when it will happen?

We all smile and say,

"It'll go by so fast. Enjoy your last quiet moments together!"


And isn't that a happy thought?!
What about you? Did you want to know the sex of your child right away or did you want the surprise at the end?

Did you use a Doula?

1 comment:

  1. I had a doula for my first birth. Unfortunately I chose her with my mind (based on her experience) rather than going with my feelings and choosing someone that I really connected with. I ended up not really liking her at all.
    For my second birth I had a midwife and a homebirth. I didn't feel the need for a doula, since the first time all I'd wanted was my husband anyway. Actually when I was laboring I wanted a little help from Hubby, but mostly I just wanted to do my own thing, without anyone getting in my way. The right doula might have been helpful, but I didn't feel that one was lacking either.

    I do like to find out the gender of my babies. I wouldn't do an extra ultrasound just to find out, but if we can see at the routine ultrasound, then yes I want to know. I like having time to choose a name for one thing! I feel that I bond better (pre-birth) when I can talk to the child by name rather than always calling him 'baby' or whatever.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling something you wanna say outloud? I'd love to hear it!