Monday, January 4, 2010

Hollywood and Homebirth



I attended a home birth last night.

The couple is not your typical

couple.

They're in the movie business.

Like, so in the movie business

that one of them is nominated

for an Emmy

right now.

So how cool is that? Way.



And no, I can't name names.



But this has been an eye-opening

experience for a small town

girl like me.



The Prenatals were

unusual for me.

They came in like

well, like most

high-powered California couples

attitudes that you don't see much

in this little town.



Mr Wonderful's brother

"Zippy"

lives in CA.

and when he comes to visit us

it takes him 3 full days

to wind down

in our home.



This couple

was like

that.

Places-to-go,

People-to-see

kinda people.



It was at times

intimidating

and

comical...

they didn't know,

nor could they know

that

their world

was about to

outgrow

any place

any other person

any time

or agenda.



For Dad, the waiting

was just so

long

...

he had a movie trailer to do...

so many things are on hold

until this baby is born.

He didn't know that time

was going to be

suspended.





Birth is a great equalizer...

when we arrived

Mama was quiet

focused

amazingly in control.



Dad was

happier than I've seen him--

excited

pacing

sweating

so focused.



The other midwives

and I

followed Mama upstairs.

Dad was right behind.



Mama got in the labor pool

and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

there goes her shoulders

as the warm water caressed

her body

and mind.



Dad's cameras are all over

but he's not clicking them.

He's whispering in her ear

comforting words--

he's not in

L.A.

he's in her head

and she is loving it.



Classical music is playing

and noone is speaking

above a whisper...

we dont' want to

disrupt the mood.

It's just perfect.

Better than a movie.

In fact,

I wish every woman I know

could've been there

to witness her relaxed state

almost dozing off between contractions.

It wouldn't have made a good movie

tho

because there was nothing to see.

It was too calm

for the masses...

people wouldn't pay

to see this...

there's no script

no flash.



The baby is born--

Mama asks

"Is it a Boy or Girl?"

She peeks and says

"I can't tell!

Wait!--it's a Girl!"



She'd wanted the surprise at the end.

All of the midwives have known

for months.

And that is a hard secret

to keep!

Whew! for relief!



As the two

become

three

I notice the

absence of "L.A."

in them both.

Their countenances are bright

and calm...

I see

Just two very brand new

parents asking the same questions

I remember asking when I had my firstborn:



"Is she okay? Is that normal?

Is that good? What does that mean?

When should I do that? What else?

Tell me what I should know!"



After the birth and Mama is resting

I ask her what she wants to eat...

this woman who has travelled the world

and could have anything she wants--

asks for a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich

with a glass of milk.

My kinda gal.



While eating

she praises my PB&J-making abilities...

so gracious

so grateful.



I ask Dad if I can get him something to eat...

he asks for the same thing.

Really? A PB&J?

Wow.



Somehow, we're all family

now... in this suspension of time.

The intimacy of birth

does that.



Later Dad goes downstairs

and plays the piano

beautifully...

the music fills the house.

Mama hears him

and serenely smiles

as though she'd just received

a gift.



Dad holds his new love.

His heart melts in her

tiny fingers.

"She's amazing."

His eyes see nothing else

his ears are primed

for only his

daughter.

His heart tells him

this is the best day

ever.

Oh he's toast.



After eating

Mama is resting

feeding the new Princess

who will undoubtedly

travel the world

in months to come...

but her journey started here

in a little

town

on the East side of the

Rockies.

1 comment:

  1. That's so beautiful.

    After birth I wanted comfort food too--it was morning, so I asked Hubby to make me some scrambled eggs with toast. The toast was from my homemade bread, and he obligingly put on lots and lots of butter. Yummmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling something you wanna say outloud? I'd love to hear it!