Monday, January 4, 2010

Morning Sickness

Morning Sickness and the Hokey-Pokey

"you put the food right in,
you puke the food right out,
you put the food right in,
and you shake it all about,
you do the hokey-pokey,
and you turn your insides out,
that's what morning sickness is all about!"
Yesterday morning as I dropped off the kids at school and was having visions of folding the 3 loads of laundry that have been gnawing at me, waiting for me to fold-- the phone rang.

It was a very pathetic sounding Dani (8 weeks pg)..."Mommm, I haven't been able to keep anything down for 24 hours. [heavy breath] What can I do?" My Doula training kicks in and says to her, "You need to stay hydrated. Can you keep liquids down?" "No." Then I go down my checklist of things I would normally advise clients.

Then, my Mommy training kicks in...I look at the clock. It's 8:43am...Lakewood is an hour and 20 minutes from me. "Im coming up there. I'll see you in a bit." I could hear the relief in her voice.

I called my wonderful Midwife and friend, Dottie to get more information, shower and head up there.

I've been pregnant a few times; I'm acquainted with morning sickness--which in one case was all day sickness--so empathy comes easy. I know that green, fatigue-y, bleck feeling that washes over like a warm wave of goo.

I headed up there as quickly as I could.

When Dani opened the door, we both felt better. I needed to get my eyes on her...you know what I mean? Just needed to see her and hug her and check her out. She looked pale and weak, but she was smiling that smile I love so much.

I loved on her and went over the new instructions for Hyper-emesis...which this could easily turn into, tho I am confident is not yet.

So I am passing this along to you, dear readers, in the hopes that you or someone you love might benefit:

* Don't eat and drink at the same time. Eat first then drink 30 minutes-1 hour later. Listen to your body. If you've eaten a small amount, then you may drink sooner.

* Have 6 smaller meals than 3 regular meals...more protein than carbs, while you're pukey.

* Graze all day long. Keep it simple though.

* No white sugar or White flour.

* Meals need to be protein-based.

* Drink a protein shake before bedtime and have protein during the night. That means you will have to get up (if nausea hasn't woken you already) and eat a peice of cheese with crackers, or something similar OR drink a protein shake.

* Before you put your feet on the ground in the morning, have some more protein.

* Before BEDTIME, take your prenatals as well as extra B-6 (25 mg).

* Remember that this is NOT the Flu--you need to stay hydrated and even if you barf, you need to continue to take sips of fluids all day long.

And finally, make sure your care provider knows how you're feeling! Don't think you have to suffer in silence.


I spoke to Dani this morning. She did exactly what I advised her to do and is feeling much better. No more puking! She said the protein shakes stayed down, and she even has had some bites of cheese, a banana and a few bites of stew that Mr. Idaho made for dinner. Most importantly, she sounds better. And like the hokey-pokey, that's what it's all about!
*What about you? What worked for your morning sickness blahs?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feeling something you wanna say outloud? I'd love to hear it!